Jotiba's Hill (Panhala T.) also called Wadi-Ratnagiri lies about nine miles north-west of Kolhapur. The hill rises about 1,000 feet from the plain in a truncted cone, and, though disconnected, forms part of the Panhala spur which stretches from the Sahyadri crest to the Krsna. On the woody hilltop is a small village peopled mostly by guravs or priests of Jotiba. From very old times this hill has been considered specially sacred. In the middle of the village is a group of temples, the best three of which are dedicated to Jotiba under the names of Kedarling, Kedaresvar, and Ramling. The temple of Kedarling stands between the other two. According to a local legend Ambabai of Kolhapur being disturbed by demons went to Kedaresvar in the Himalaya hills, practised severe penance, and prayed him to destroy the demons. In answer to her prayers Kedareshvar came to Jotiba's hills, bringing with him and setting up the present Kedarling. The original temple is said to have been built by one Navji Saya. In its place about 225 years ago (1730) Ranojirao Sinde built the present temple. It is a plain building 57' x 37' x 77' high including the spire. The second temple of Kedaresvar which is 49' x 22' x 89' high was built by Daulatrao Sinde in the year 1808. The third temple of Ramling, 13' x 13' x 40' high including the dome, was built in about 1780 A.D. by one Malji Nilam Panhalkar. In a small domed shrine in front of the temple of Kedareshvar are two sacred bulls of black stone. Close to these temples is a shrine sacred to Chopdai which was built by Pritirav Himmat Bahadur in about 1750 A. D. It is 32' x 46' x 80' high including the dome. A few yards outside the village stands a temple of Yamai built by Ranojirao Shinde. It is 47' x 27' x 49' high including the dome. In front of Yamai are two sacred cisterns, one of which (164' x 143' x 18' deep) is said to have been built by Jijabai Saheb about 1743; the other called Jamadagnya tirth and built by Ranojirao Sinde is 54' x 52' x 13' deep. Besides these two tirths (scared pools), and five ponds and wells, two sacred streams flow down sides of the hill. One stream rising from the Kusavarta pools is called the Goda, the other which rises to the north of the hill and is known as Haimavati falls into the Varna. Most of the temples on Jotiba's hill are made of a fine blue basalt which is found on the hills. In many parts the style of architecture, which is strictly Hindu, is highly ornamented, several of the sculptured figures being covered with brass and silver plates. The chief object of worship is Jotiba who, though called the son of the sage Pangand, is believed to have been Pangand himself, who became man to help the rulers of the Deccan in their fights with demons. According to tradition Jotiba's destruction of one of the demons named Ratnasura gave the place the name of Ratnagiri in addition to these of Kedarling, Kedarnath, and Nath. In honour of the victory over the demon, on the full-moon of Caitra or March-April, a yearly fair is held attended by about a lakh of people, some of whom come from a distance of 700 miles. The sale of grain, cloth, copper and brass vessels and sweetmeats is estimated to be worth Rs. 2,00,000. Besides this great fair, small fairs are held every Sunday and full-moon day and on the bright sixth of Sravana or August. On these days, the image is carried round the temple in a litter with great pomp. The image in which Jotiba dwells is of a soft black stone, and the stone in which his wife Yamai lives is a rough unshaped block smeared with oil and redlead. On the great fair day, in Caitra or March-April, a brass image of Jotiba amid the shouts of about a lakh of people, is carried to Yamai for the yearly marriage. Part of the cremony is to lay between Jotiba and Yamai a seal or Shika and a dagger or Katar. To support the staff of ministrants the temples have a yearly revenue of more than Rs. 12,000, a part of which is contributed by the Scindias. Ten Brahmins are busy in ceaseless prayer and forty-one servants and two horses, one elephant and one camel are kept to attend the grand festival. Since 1873 a poll-tax of half to two annas has been levied on the pilgrims visiting the place on the chief fair days. The yearly collection amounts to about Rs. 16,000 part of which is spent in mending the roads and keeping the place clean. There is a good rest-house and the water-supply has been lately improved. A cart road joins Jotiba's hill with the Kolhapur-Amba Pass road.