TRANSPORT AND COMMUNICATIONS
There were three types of telephone exchanges in
Kolhapur district in 1957, two of which were "Auto-Exchanges having
150 lines and one was 400 central Battery Multiple-1 and T-32 Trunk
Ichalkaranji which had 100 lines, was opened in
1953. The telephone exchange at Jaisingpur, which was opened in
1957, had 50 lines and the Jaisingpur telephone exchange had 40
connections. Ichalkaranji had 94 and Kolhapur had 390. There were 14
public call offices, of which 10 were in Kolhapur, and one each in
Malkapur, Panhala, Kagal and Gadhinglaj. The following were the 6
trunk line alignments passing through this district, viz.-
(1) Kolhapur-Karad carrying one trunk.
(2) Kolhapur-Nipani carrying one trunk.
(3) Kolhapur-Ratnagiri carrying one trunk.
(4) Kolhapur-Ichalkaranji carrying one trunk.
(5) Kolhapur-Sangli carrying three trunks.
(6) Poona-Belgaum carrying seven trunks.