GENERAL ECONOMIC SURVEY
During the last 70 years, vast improvements in the
means of transport and communications have taken place. The old
Gazetteer mentions that new roads of 300 miles were made during 1845
and 1854. It goes on " At present (1883), besides several small
roads, Kolhapur has four main lines of communication, one the
Poona-Belgaum road running north and south, and three the
Kolhapur-Amba pass, the Kolhapur-Phonda pass and the
Sankeshwar-Parpoli pass Roads, running west towards the coast." At
present (1957-58) excluding village roads Kolhapur has a total of
998 road mileage. Besides increase in the total number of miles
there is a striking change in the surface of roads. All the national
highways and state highways have at least black top surface and are
motorable throughout the year. The condition of major district roads
has also improved considerably.
It was on April 21, 1891, that a meter guage railway
line between Miraj and Kolhapur was opened for traffic. This line,
about 30 miles in the district, serves Kolhapur district. Sugar and
gur are transported by the railway. Moreover, during the
months of monsoon when country craft cannot ply the railhead at
Kolhapur serves admirably for passenger as well as for goods traffic
between Ratnagiri and Bombay.
In the matter of postal communications, the district
is fairly well served. From 17 post offices (two chief disbursing
offices, one town sub-office and 14 sub-offices) in 1886 the number
has now gone up to 148 of which one is head office, 15 sub-offices
and 132 branch offices. At present there are 14 telegraph offices.
In addition to this, there are telephone exchanges, with trunkline
alignment, at Kolhapur, Jaisingpur and Ichalkaranji.
A new landmark in passenger transport is the advent
of the Bombay State Road Transport Corporation, set up by Government
in pursuance of their general policy of nationalising road
transport. The Kolhapur division of the Corporation covers the
entire district and exclusively undertakes passenger transport.