Kagal (16° 30' N; 74° 15' E; p. 9,821), the
head-quarters of the Kagal taluka, is 12 miles south-east of
Kolhapur on the Pune Belganv road. It lies in the valley of the
Dudhaganga about a mile south of the river and is surrounded by rich
garden land shaded by fine old mango trees.
Area and Population.
Of the total population of 9,821 according to the
census figures of 1951, the agricultural classes number 4,687 and
the non-agricultural classes 5,134. Of the latter 1,310 persons
derive their principal means of livelihood from production other
than cultivation, 816 persons from commerce; 111 persons from
transport and 2,897 persons from other services and miscellaneous
The civic affairs of the town are managed by a
municipality established in 1909 and now functioning under the
Bombay District Municipal Act (III) of 1901. The municipal area
covers 6½ square miles. The municipal council is composed of 16
members. Two of the seats are reserved for women and two for the
Income and Expenditure.
In 1955-56 the total income of the municipality,
excluding extraordinary and debt heads was Rs. 22,690, composed of
municipal rates and taxes, Rs. 11,477, revenue derived from
municipal property and powers apart from taxation. Rs. 6,427,
Government grant Rs. 4,028; and miscellaneous, Rs. 758. The total
expenditure, in the same year amounted to Rs. 18,046 of which Rs.
1,630 was incurred under general administration, Rs, 2,627 under
water supply, Rs. 1,326 under lighting, Rs. 114 under current
repairs, Rs. 8,844 under sanitation, Rs. 1,839 under public works,
and Rs. 1,666 under miscellaneous.
There is a Government dispensary in the town.
Government also maintains a veterinary dispensary in the town. The
municipality has built some kachha drains and also some
stone-gutters. Water is supplied in sufficient quantities from pipes
connected to the Jaising tank constructed in 1892 and situated at a
distance of one mile. Compulsory primary education in the town is
managed by the Kolhapur District School Board, the municipality
contributing its statutory share. There is a private high school,
named Sahu High School. There is a public library named Mahatma
Gandhi Vacanalaya, Kagal, to which the municipality gives an annual
grant of Rs. 50. There is no fire service maintained by the
municipality. The total length of roads maintained by the
municipality is six miles, only four miles of which are metalled.
Bazar takes place twice in a week i.e., on Monday and Thursday.
Various kinds of vegetables and fruits and corn are brought for
There are municipal burial places in the town. There
is one cremation ground reserved for Hindus and it is situated half
a mile from the town. There is also one special shed erected which
is being used in rainy season. There is also one burial place
reserved for the Muslim community.
Between 1775 and 1825 Kagal was more than once
sacked and burned by the Rajas of Kolhapur. The oldest known mention
of Kagal is in grants or sanads of the sixteenth century from
the Bijapur Government. No old buildings remain entire but there are
ruins of mosques and temples. The old fort was destroyed by
Yasavantarao Sinde of Kolhapur in 1780. In its place about 1813 the
late Hindurao Ghatge built a new fort 377 feet from east to west by
366 feet from north to south. It is enclosed by a ditch and a thick
stone wall now much ruined. The eastern portion of the rampart was
destroyed in 1858 by order of the British Government. Besides a
large mansion built within the town by Hindurao after the model of
the famous palace of Deeg, and several good houses belonging to the
relations of the Ghatge family, a large mansion or vada
stands at a small distance of the town, built by a Raja of Kolhapur
at a cost of about a lakh of rupees. Of the public buildings the
most important are three large rest-houses, a fine school-house,
three temples, one sacred to Rama called Ramamandir, a second
dedicated to Maruti, a third to Radhakrsna. The temples receive a
cash allowance of Rs. 656-15-0 from Government. Every year in
Kartik or October-November a fair or urus is held in
honour of Saibi Pir. The fair is attended by about 2,000 people from
Kolhapur and the neighbouring villages, and the sale of grain,
cloth, fruit, and sweetmeats amounts to Rs. 2,000.