Malkapur (Sahuwadi T.; 16° 55' N, 73° 55' E;
p. 3,299) lies twenty-eight miles north-west of Kolhapur on the left
bank of the Sali river and close to the Kolhapur-Amba Pass road.
Malkapur was of little importance until 1844 when the Kolhapur
Pratinidhi's headquarter was moved to it from Visalgad.
Area and Population.
Of the total population of 3,299 according to the
Census figures of 1951, the agricultural classes number 578 and the
non-agricultural classes 2,721. Of the latter 571 persons derive
their principal means of livelihood from production other than
cultivation, 860 persons from commerce; 116 persons from transport,
and 1,174 persons from other services and miscellaneous sources.
The civic affairs of the town are managed by a
municipality established in 1884 and now functioning under the
Bombay District Municipal Act (III) of 1901. The municipal area
covers only three-fourth of a square mile. The municipal board is
composed of sixteen members, all elected, two seats being reserved
for women in wards B and C and two for the Scheduled Castes in ward
D. The municipality has appointed three committees, viz., the
Managing Committee, the Sanitary Committee and the School Committee
to carry on the administration.
Income and Expenditure.
During 1956-57, the total income of the
municipality, excluding extraordinary and debt heads amounted to Rs.
26,740, composed of tax on houses and lands, Rs. 1,819; toll, Rs.
4,946; special sanitary cess, Rs. 624; hotel tax, Rs. 376; rents of
lands and houses, Rs. 3,168; other taxes, Rs. 9,207; fees and
revenue from markets and slaughter-houses, Rs. 3,760; and from
miscellaneous and other heads Rs. 3,440. The total expenditure,
excluding extraordinary and debt heads, totalled Rs. 36,476,
distributed as follows: -office establishment, Rs. 7,130; lighting
establishment, Rs. 2,426; water supply Rs. 2,794; drainage, Rs. 545;
conservancy (general and special), Rs. 12,144; roads, Rs. 5,745;
grants and contributions, Rs. 320; and miscellaneous and other
heads, Rs. 5,372.
There are eight municipal wells in the town, which
supply water to the inhabitants. In summer the roads are wetted by
water brought from the river. Drainage is by means of gutters, only
some of which are stone-lined, others being kutcha. There is
compulsory primary education in the town managed by the Kolhapur
District School Board, the municipality paying its statutory
contribution. There is a high school managed by the Rayat Siksan
Samstha. The municipality gives an annual grant of Rs. 200 to the
taluka library which is housed in the municipal building. There is
only a length of 1,600 ft. of municipal road in the town. There is a
Government dispensary in the centre of the town. There is also a
veterinary dispensary maintained by Government in Ucat which is
close to the town. There are three municipal dharmasalas. The
municipality maintains a cremation shed and a burial place. The
Mahommedan community has its own burial place.
Malkapur has two chief temples built of stone and
motar. One dedicated to Visvesvara is 58' x 27' x 23' high and the
other dedicated to Bhimasankar is 55' x 29' x 18' high.