Trade being one of the principal economic activities
of modern times, associations and organisations of traders and
merchants play an important role in the community's economic life. A
central organisation like a Chamber of Commerce can have
considerable influence in as much at it is a body to which different
types of small associations are affiliated. The representation given
to the central organisation in various economic committees help very
much in redressing the grievances facing the mercantile community.
In Kolhapur district the growth of trade
associations is comparatively recent. The more prominent among them
were affiliated to the Maharashtra Chamber of Commerce and are
(1) Bhusar Vyapari Association, Kolhapur.
(2) Shahupuri Merchants' Association, Kolhapur.
(3) Merchants' Association, Ichalkaranji.
(4) Merchants' Association, Vadgaon.
(5) Merchants' Association, Jaisingpur.
(6) Merchants' Association, Gadhinglaj.
(7) Merchants' Association, Malkapur.